Masai Mara safari
"The 8th Wonder of the World" is how the Great Migration through the famous Masai Mara is known. Many have come back time and again to witness this mass movement of wild animals through the wilderness, an unparalleled sensation. You have not seen anything like this before.
Located in the south-west region of Kenya, 270 kilometres (about 5 hours) from Nairobi is the Masai Mara which boasts an abundance of wildlife all year round, not just during the Great Migration. A safari to the Mara can incorporate five star lodges or luxury permanent tented camps inside the Reserve or if you are on a budget, we can provide safari tents and you can enjoy camping under the stars with the sounds of the wildlife all around.
Each year the Mara plays host to one the world’s greatest natural spectacles, the Great Wildebeest Migration from the Serengeti. From July to October, the promise of rain and fresh, life giving grass in the north brings nearly 2 million Wildebeest together into a single massive herd. They pour across the border into the Mara, making a spectacular entrance in a surging column of life that stretches from horizon to horizon.
The Masai Mara Game Reserve
The Masai Mara is one of Africa’s premier game reserves where you get close encounters with a diverse population of game all year round. With its iconic landscape of endless seas of golden grass dotted with picturesque acacia trees the Masai Mara fulfils the dreams of any visitor searching for the perfect safari experience. This natural wonderland is home to cheetah, leopard, large prides of lion, elephant, giraffe, hyena, huge Nile crocodile, hippos and many other species.
The Masai Mara spreads over 1,510 square kilometres of rolling plains, sudden rocky outcrops, and green winding rivers and is one of the few locations in Africa that you stand a good chance of seeing the 'Big 5' on one game drive.
ACTIVITIES AND HIGHLIGHTS
The activities include going for walks along the river bank of the Mara river (with an armed Ranger!) and also climbing the Oloolaimutia hills. Having picnic lunch at the Mara river bank and going for game drives searching for the Big 5 (lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard, and rhinoceros).
Hot air ballooning over the Masai Mara wildebeest migration is an awesome experience. There is little that can match the aesthetic appeal of a huge colourful balloon rising like an airborne lollipop out of the pre-dawn darkness into the first rays of the sun. You will also be able to explore the Masai Manyatta’s (villages) and join in a Maasai dance at the end of your visit.
Masai Mara safari itinerary
We start from Nairobi with a drive along part of the ‘Great Rift Valley’ on the first day, as we proceed to the breath-taking beauty of the Masai Mara, where a true experience awaits!
Our Masai Mara safari trips run at all times of year but the period from end of July through August is especially popular as it pays host to the great migration.
Our safaris offer dates according to your preference, just tell us when you want to go and any preferences you have, and we will help to design your safari holiday. Since this is a four day safari you can add components like city tours, visits to tea estates, trekking, staying in a lodge, going to the coast and so on. There are many options for price levels too, from top end lodges to camping trips. Our staff both in the UK and in Kenya can offer advice.
Masai Mara safari day by day plan
|1||n/a||5-6 hours||Start your journey with a scenic drive from Nairobi down to the Masai Mara, en-route the Great Rift valley viewpoint for stunning views. Evening game drive. Dinner and overnight at Lodge or Tented camp|
|2||n/a||Full Days Game Drive||Full day game drive in Masai Mara with a packed picnic lunch at the Mara river. As your safari is private your game drive timings are flexible and you can choose what kind of game drive you prefer or you can also decide to spruce it up with a walk to Mara river with an armed ranger to view the migration crossing point. Dinner and overnight at Lodge or Tented camp. Dinner and overnight at the Lodge or Tented camp|
|3||n/a||Full Days Game Drive||Early morning game drive just before breakfast. Afternoon game drive enroute a visit to the Masai cultural village where you can see traditional dances and learn about their culture. You will be welcomed by traditional dances which you can join in. Dinner and overnight at the Lodge or Tented camp|
|4||n/a||5-6hours||At the break of dawn you enjoy your final game drive in the Mara followed by breakfast and departure for Nairobi. Arrival at Nairobi in the afternoon. Transfer to the airport for your flight home.|
Masai Mara safari cost from £745.00
- Safari Vehicle for 4 days (with pop up roof for game viewing) including fuel
- Driver & Guide/Cook
- Park entry fees as per the itinerary
- Food (3 meals per day) prepared by our staff and bottled water throughout the safari
- Accommodation in Adventure Alternative walk in safari tents (upgrade possible to lodges)
- UK/Kenya Administration and Staff Support
- Any activities not mentioned in the inclusions
- Alcohol/additional drinks, meals in restaurants, personal expenses for souvenirs, laundry, phone calls, etc
- Safari Staff Tips
- Vaccinations/personal medication
- International Travel/Visa/Personal Trip Insurance
This price is for a minimum of 2 people. We do run safaris for individuals but there is a supplement of £150.00 for this.
A deposit of £250 is required on booking to secure your place and we ask that the remaining balance (trip price minus the deposit) is paid in full 4 weeks prior to your departure. When you book with us you're given your own secure online account which you can access 24/7. Through this account you can edit your booking, add flight, health, insurance and dietary details and also make interim payments. We make payments as flexible as possible and you can choose, if you wish, to pay a bit off your trip fee whenever it suits you.
Masai Mara safari clothing suggestions
We recommend keeping clothing light and long sleeved during the day, with jumpers for the evening and a raincoat or umbrella for when it rains.
- Short & Long Sleeve Shirts - Long sleeved is for protection from the sun and insects in the evenings.
- Shorts & Trousers - again, long trousers can protect from the sun & insects.
- Safari Hat - wide brimmed works best, but a cap is a good alternative!
- Jacket/Fleece - it can get colder in the evenings and early morning game drive
- Shoes - Comfortable trainers/shoes and a pair of sandals. You will need some type of hiking or safari boot if you plan on any walking safaris.
- Personal first-aid kit
- A small day pack
- African/Kenya Guide Book
- Money belt
- Torch (important on camping/budget safari)
- Water bottle
- Insect Repellent
- Underwear & socks
It is important that you take you anti-malarial prophylactics and a visit to your GP before going to Kenya will be necessary for the prescription. Or else you can call Interhealth in London with whom we have a telemedicine contract, and they can advise on specific requirments for areas that you are visiting.
- We have strong ethical standards and are members of Tourism Concern. We do not outsource and our equipment and vehicles are all fully owned by the company. We are supporters of pro poor tourism and always put back into the local people and communities where we work.
- There is also a charity for street children called Moving Mountains, which Gavin started after years running rehabilitation camps for these disadvantaged kids and building schools and clinics. The company works very much in tandem with the charity covering all of its overheads and managing project research and implementation. You can even spend a day with some of our kids and see what education and life is like in Kenya.
- In Maasai Mara National Reserve, the local Masai people benefit from income generated through tourism in the Game reserves which are run by the community.
- Adventure Alternative Kenya is a licensed tour company based in Nairobi. Our staff are trained, experienced and speak excellent English. We organise all the staff, equipment, permits and hotel arrangements.
Open trips or tailor made dates at no extra cost.
£250 deposit and the balance in instalments.
Click Dates & Booking below to start your holiday!
- Duration 4 days
- Numbers 2 - 10 people
- Comfort Safari tents
- Transport Safari microvan