Mount Kenya optional trekking costs
Extra Options for Mount Kenya Ad-Ons
The advertised price for all our options on Mount Kenya does not include transport to the mountain or accommodation before or after. The information below details various options and we can assist with booking the following:
- Airport transfers
- Accommodation in Nairobi
- Transfers to and from Embu or Naro Moru - depending on your route
- Accommodation in both locations too - hotels or lodges
The beautiful Mount Kenya dusted in snow.
Costs of accommodation and transfers
- Airport transfer to Nairobi - £40.00 one way (one car takes up to 4 pax)
- Transfer Nairobi/airport and Embu - £80 one way
- Transfer Nairobi city and Naro Moru - £100 one way
- Accommodation in Nairobi at Wildebeest Eco-Camp - £36 per person/night (dormitory beds with cooked breakfast, upgrades to private garden tents available)
- Accommodation in Embu at our Guest House - £25 per person/night (twin rooms, full board)
- Accommodation in Naro Moru at the Blueline Hotel - £35 per person/night (twin rooms, full board)
Trekking prices on our site are based on camping throughout (mountain tents are provided), unless you are using the Chogoria route for the ascent, in which case first night is at Meru Bandas and an optional night at the Austrian Hut is included in the advertised cost.
Optional upgrades at the mountain huts are available, particularly if you are using the Sirimon or Naro Moru routes (most other routes on Mount Kenya will involve wild camping) and the current costs for these upgrades are listed below.
If you descend the Chogoria route then you can add a final night on to the itinerary at Meru Bandas (this is very popular with trekkers descending the Chogoria route as the bandas are next to an open swamp where animals commonly come out of the forest to graze, particularly at dusk and dawn.
A beautiful sunrise along the Chogoria Route.
Mount Kenya accommodation upgrades
- Extra nights at Meru Bandas - £340 (based on 2 pax - includes extra porter/guide salaries, one day's National Park fees, food required and one night's accommodation)
- Mountain Hut accommodation (if ascending or descending Naro Moru or Sirimon Route) - £22 per person/night at Met Station or Mackinders Camp on the Naro Moru route or Old Moses on Shipton on the Sirimon route.
Safari and Moving Mountains Options
- Sponsor a Moving Mountains beneficiary or former street child to join you for the climb - £160.00. Share your experience with someone who has been supported by our charity, Moving Mountains and them the chance to develop personally and summit the highest trekking peak in their country.
- Visits to our Moving Mountains development projects on the lower slopes of Mount Kenya, these include the Solio development for internally displaced people and Tigithi Primary and Kiamathaga Secondary Schools on the western side of Mount Kenya, near Naro Moru town and the Rescue Centre for Street Children, our Black Cats sports programme and a number of school development projects on the eastern side of Mount Kenya in Embu (Urban Primary, County Primary and Gatwe Primary Schools - there is no charge for visiting any of these projects, however we would ask that you cover local staffs transport (if required)
- Tailor-made safari adventures - prices will vary depending on the numbers in the team, length of the itinerary and National Parks and Game Reserves/Conservation Areas visited but we are more than happy to discuss options with you and help build an itinerary to suit your time and budget. From Mount Kenya, you have great access to Ol Pejeta Conservancy for day trips and overnights or the longer but popular option of a 4 or 5-day safari to Lake Naivasha, Hells Gate and the Masai Mara.