The Safari is renowned for its adventurous appeal, its call of the wild, the lure of stunning scenery and its fascinating culture. Adventure Alternative will give you an experience that you will not forget easily and provide the service you expect on a high quality holiday.
We cater for children and families. We have experienced staff and itineraries that we have thought about to give you the best of all options.
Our Family Safaris are designed to allow you as a family to explore whilst learning and experiencing this beautiful country and her people from a safe and secure base. Our staff will be with you all the time and we have qualified staff to look after your children should you wish to dine out for an evening or spend some time alone. We can arrange ipod connections on board the vehicles for long journeys and a supply of board games to play around the campfire.
You can also take your children to a Kenyan school with our connection to the charity Moving Mountains which looks after Kenyan children who are from poor backgrounds. Your children can have a really unique experience of life for young people in Kenya, plus you can see the work of our charity and see classrooms, speak to teachers and even take part in a lesson. The itinerary would determine exactly where, but we would recommend that some time is spent on safari watching wildlife and some time spent in villages and areas where the charity works. It will not be seen as voyeuristic or inappropriate.
When it comes to health then you and your children will need to get vaccinations and take anti malarial tablets. You should seek the advice of your doctor or travel clinic who will ensure that you are adequately covered. If you had an illness or mishap whilst on holiday then there are excellent clinics and hospitals in Kenya and Tanzania. We are also members of KATO and have flying doctor cover with AMREF. All of our staff are first aid trained and we carry first aid kits in all our vehicles.
When it comes to safety in Kenya or Tanzania then you can be assured that you and your children will be very well looked after. We have a wonderful team working for us on the ground, who are all qualified and experienced. They will ensure that you are safe, well fed and have an amazing time. All of our staff are parents themselves and will work really well with your family. The Kenyan nature is very soft and fun and the interaction with your children will be wonderful. We can easily prepare your favorite dishes and we can cater for all diets. You will find the staff engaging, informative and very interactive.
The views out the window are very different to home and your children will find it fascinating! Saying that, young minds do wander and you are welcome to bring personal DVD players. We also have modems for laptop internet connectivity however this does depend on your location.
Since a family holiday is all about family fun we would work with you to create a specific itinerary that suits you and your children’s needs. Commonly with a family safari we would try to limit the amount of time spent driving. It really depends on the age of your children and the experience which you are after. Usually the highlights for children are visiting places like the Elephant Orphanage or the Giraffe sanctuary in Nairobi, visiting Schools and interacting with Kenyan children of the same age through projects which we run through our charity Moving Mountains.
Having a private / bespoke itinerary does not mean that Family safaris are premium priced. The cost of a safari varies greatly and the biggest expense is the Park entry fees and accommodation. We can mix the accommodation to suit. Many familes prefer a camping experience, others Lodges, some a mix of both - again it comes down to what is best for you family.
The KWS Wildlife Code
- Respect the privacy of the wildlife, this is their habitat.
- Beware of the animals, they are wild and can be unpredictable.
- Don't crowd the animals or make sudden noises or movements.
- Don't feed the animals, it upsets their diet and leads to human dependence.
- Keep quiet, noise disturbs the wildlife and may antagonize your fellow visitors.
- Stay in your vehicle at all times, except at designated picnic or walking areas.
- Keep below the maximum speed limit (40 kph/25 mph).
- Never drive off-road, this severely damages the habitat.
- When viewing wildlife keep to a minimum distance of 20 meters and pull to the side of the road so as to allow others to pass.
- Leave no litter and never leave fires unattended or discard burning objects.
- Respect the cultural heritage of Kenya, never take pictures of the local people or their habitat without asking their permission, respect the cultural traditions of the area and always dress with decorum.
- Stay over or leave before dusk, visitors must vacate the Park between 6.00 p.m. - 6.00 a.m. unless they are camping overnight. Night game driving is not allowed.